Tuesday 28 October 2014

one step forward two steps back

Our social worker called me at work today.

We had a meeting planned for tomorrow with her and a guardianship worker to discuss a possible match. That meeting has been cancelled because while the guardianship worker had a couple weeks vacation, another social worker found a family who they feel is better suited to this child. So with one day's notice, we're off the table and back to square one.

I wonder if they make more money than we do. I wonder if they have a big backyard. Horses? A tire swing? A mom who is tall enough to hug a growing child?

Obviously this was not meant to be and we know that. We aren't really sad because we had so little information, there is nothing to really be sad about. But no matter how realistic I am and no matter how many proposals come and go a little part of me will always think "what if..." for each of them.
I like to think they will all live somewhere that looks like this and obviously I just can't compete!

4 comments:

Simon said...

Sorry to hear of your disappointment," what if?" for each possibility sure makes sense to me. Good luck with your hopes.

Unknown said...

I just ran across your post from Offbeat Families.
I am very young but I think this journey you have started – as a family – is a wonderful one. I think you have chosen the path of GREAT love, and wish you guys the best.

I hope you soon get a match. I hope love grows and flies around and multiplies.

Naomi Smith said...

hey WHanna! You haven't posted since October and so I wanted to know if there has been any news. Ive read through your whole blog and find your story really interesting! I'm rooting for you!

Mama Bear said...

Hi! I just came across your blog through Rage Against the Minivan. My husband and I are from Canada as well, and adoption was our first choice. We adopted our son internationally about a year and a half ago, and I really connected with the post you wrote for Offbeat Families. I'm not sure where you are in your adoption journey, but I wish you all the best!